Citizens for Safe Technology
Empowering the public to protect children
and nature from unsafe wireless technologies.
Looking for a specific topic or a past article? Search for it below:
who is looking out for us? - Coalition to Stop "Smart" Meters, January 28, 2015
ITRON smart meters have the remote disconnect switch, just like
those in Ontario, and they allow water/moisture to accumulate
just as they did in Saskatchewan.
In British Columbia there has been at least one fire that, according to the BC Safety Authority, was caused by water leaking into the meter, causing a short circuit.
Yet no one, not Bill Bennett, not BC Hydro, not the BC Safety Authority is even acknowledging the fire risk, let alone taking precautionary measures to protect us and our homes.
Engineers who, on a voluntary basis are studying the meters, have found several serious flaws, one of the significant ones being the remote disconnect switch. They are concerned that proper testing of the switch and of the meters themselves hasn't taken place and there is no certification of safety by either CSA or an independent professional electrical engineer - something required by both common sense and the law.
In the attached commentary, a retired engineer, Bob McKechnie warns, "The switch is critical from the safety point of view because if it fails to operate properly the disconnect function will not be accomplished and safety will not be assured."
Our government and BC Hydro are playing Russian roulette with our lives and property. Who is watching out for British Columbians? Must people die before Bill Bennett takes action?
originally posted August 31, 2014
B.C. Energy Minister Bill Bennett and BC Hydro state that there have been no fires or dangerous incidents involving smart meters. Are they deceitful or just incompetent?
Executive Summary (ES) for distribution - Click link to view the FULL REPORT
"It is vital that all of you help to get this smart metering program stopped NOW, not next year, NOW. Here is proof that smart meters are fire hazards. We must demand that they be removed from all homes. Even if you don't have one on your home, in all likelihood there is one near you. Fires spread.
"Why has there been denial that this risk exists? Profit, greed, corporate pressure, incompetence?
"Once we give this evidence to our MLAs, they cannot say they didn't know. They have a duty to do all they can to get these things off homes immediately, or else they become as guilty as Bill Bennett and Hydro.
" . . . In fires with little damage, NV Energy simply replaces the meter, cleans up any staining and paints over sooty walls. In fires with more significant damage, the company hires its own inspectors, who find a different cause than city investigators.
"That's what happened to Sara Macias. The blaze that destroyed much of her home in January 2013 started in the electric panel on the outside of her garage, according to the city fire investigators.
"Macias said her insurance company inspector found the same origin. But NV Energy's inspector found the fire started inside the garage, she said.
"Her home has been rebuilt, and she said the insurance company and the power company continue to wrangle over who is financially responsible for it. NV Energy Director of Smart Technology Gary Smith said that fire was determined to have started inside the garage and that Macia's insurance has not filed a claim against the company.
"In the meantime, Macias refused to allow NV Energy to install another smart meter, opting to pay a higher monthly bill for the traditional model. . . .
First posted January, 2012: Links to reports and videos that implicate Smart Meters in causing house fires and explosions (updated August, 2014)
Links to articles and videos that report links of Smart Meters to house fires:
Chilliwack - Moody Meter Fire January 16, 2015
Langford - Fire on Sooke Lake Road August 27, 2014
South Vancouver - Two Smart Meter Fires, Appliances all blown August 21, 2012
Fire guts Mission Home (includes links to other fires in BC)
Nanaimo Fire December 2, 2011 "Meter started smoking, leaves family in the dark."
Electrical explosion at Naples Bay Resort December 19, 2011 "A Vanguard Utility Services electrician was reportedly installing a new FPL Smart Meter . . . when an electrical fault and arc occurred, creating a fireball."
MFB probes smart-meter fire risk / Metropolitan Fire Brigade / Power November 7, 2011 ". . . public alert about smart meters because it was "too early" to draw any link. . ."
Pickering smart meter explodes / Toronto and GTA / News / Toronto SunOctober 4, 2011 Video Couple may have to pay for replacement . . .
Fire investigators probe link between smart meters and house fires / Herald Sun The Metropolitan Fire and Emergency Services Board has launched an investigation into a possible link between smart meters and house fires.
Local 2 Investigates Smart Meter FiresNovember 14, 2011 It's a danger homeowners called about when they were stuck with no electricity and major damage to their homes.
Fires Spark During Smart Meter InstallationsAugust 19, 2010 Arlington Local News
Improper Smart Meter Installation Causes FiresSmart Meters installed with power on - Fire results
Arcing Meter Hazards / Smart Meter Fire in DiamondHeadNovember 12, 2011 PGE cutting costs at expense of safety
Man says Smart Meter caught fire and shut down his businessNovember 25, 2011 Under investigation . . .
Smart Meter Fires and Explosions EMF Safety Network documentation
Fire at 160 Santa Rosa, San Francisco Smart Meter "incompatible with house wiring?"
"Meters that endanger: shocking details from a whistleblower."
Vancouver Sun report (with links to other incidents in BC and beyond) First posted August, 2012
Published on Aug 21, 2012
They replaced the old meter with a smart meter, had a fire. Then, they replaced the smart meter with new analog. Then, without permission they removed the new analog and replaced it with a smart meter. Then ANOTHER fire started in the kitchen. Many appliances were damaged.
EMR HEALTH ALLIANCE OF BC (EMRABC)
This posting contains information and details about smart meter and AMI fires.
Regardless of jurisdictions and electrical providers (B.C., Saskatchewan, Ontario, California, Texas, Mississippi, Florida, Pennsylvania, Oregon, Australia to name a few) and regardless of meter models and manufacturers such as Landis Gyr, Itron, General Electric, ComED, Sensus . . . a mounting number of fires have been attributed to Smart Meters.
Another Saskatchewan home has been hit by fire involving a "smart" power meter.
" . . . A Medicine Hat official has noted it's getting more and more calls for service due to overheating meters -- which tends to happen when the main socket on a house is old.
"City spokesperson Wilbur McLean said the old sockets may malfunction after being disturbed.
"As soon as you disturb that socket by removing a meter and put a new meter on it, it kind of awakens that issue," he said. "It doesn't matter what meter's going on that house." . . .
Take Back Your Power
An excellent article with some of the technical reasons for smart meter fires.
All smart meters have design flaws that could, have, and will result in fires.
Please send this information to your MLA, asking him/her to get these fire risks off our homes and out of our neighbourhoods. Just because you don't have one doesn't mean you are safe from a fire that could begin at your neighbour's home.
"Thought you knew the full story on the latest barrage of smart meter fires? Think again...
One time donation: Click the donate button below and follow the instructions on the screen.
Monthly donation: If you wish to contribute every month, please select the amount from the Donation Options list below and click Subscribe. Your contribution will be sent for you every month for the amount you selected.
Citizens for Safe Technology (CST) is funded and supported solely by those who wish to help us. Thank-you for learning, sharing and helping if you can.
Meetings and events on the issue of wireless technologies in homes and communities throughout North America.
Click the button above to sign our online petition to return to hardwired computers in schools.
Click the button above to sign our online petition against Smart Meters in British Columbia.
Citizens For Safe Technology
"Wi-Fi: Is It Safe?"
Citizens for Safe Technology is a not-for-profit educational society made up of parents, grandparents, teachers, business professionals, scientists, politicians and lawyers concerned about the exponential increase in public exposure to harmful wireless technologies.
We believe a profound urgency exists to protect the unsuspecting public, especially children, youth and pregnant mothers from unsafe wireless technologies.
The content of the Citizens for Safe Technology website is provided for information purposes only. Information is subject to change without prior notice. Every effort has been taken to ensure that the information on this website is accurate, but no guarantees can be made.
Neither Citizens for Safe Technology nor its authors are liable for damages resulting from the use of information obtained from this site. The authors are not responsible for any contents linked or referred to from this website or any damages resulting from information on those sites.
The responsibility for the interpretation and use of the information on this site lies with the reader.